Old April 20th 11, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default trikes?

On Apr 20, 5:45*am, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
One of my
problems is with changing from a sitting to a standing position, so a
relatively high seat may be valuable. The AnthroTech that Andre mentioned
might be good in that regard, haven't yet done much research into
availability, weight, cost, etc.

By European quality standards, the Anthrotech is not expensive. Won't
fit a two grand budget though.

Here's one with a higher seat, American made, but sold out; perhaps
you can find one pre-loved:

http://www.cyclegenius.com/trx.html

No idea about the quality.

Desired price range would be about $2,000, but may have to re-evaluate that
upward based on what I've seen so far.
In an ideal world, it would fit in the back of a Subaru Impreza wagon that
has the back seats folded down. Otherwise, am looking for some sort of rack
(other than a roof rack).

I didn't look particularly at folders but noted the best of them in
passing. Too low though.

http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkt...s/index_e.html

Pricelist.

http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/shoppin...rpionfs_e.html

Use will mostly be exercise on bike trails and paths. It'd be good if it had
low enough gears to get me up at least railroad grades on rails-to-trails,

See the price list for the Rohloff upgrade. I have a Rohloff box on my
everyday bike and won't get up my home hill without it -- but I'm the
only one pedaling up the hill, albeit slowly, while people a lot
younger than me push their bikes.

and some sort of tire compromise that would let me try some gravel road in
the woods stuff.

I'd actually go with the 29 buck upgrade to Big Apples. I have Big
Apples on my bike and have never even considered removing them and
putting the Marathon Plus back on. Nevernevernevernevernever! The Big
Apples are a big part of my bike's suspension package though, so on a
trike with suspension you might not feel too much pain if at the rear,
as Tom suggests, you have a tyre with bite.

I still think the Dutch Tripod in my earlier post might be a better
deal if you decide to or must go that low because you have no other
choices. Check the measurements. Those things fit in the back of a
Volvo estate, so they might fit in the back of a Subaru. I went into
it thoroughly at the time, and reports were that it is superb in all
respects and it worked out cheaper by over a grand in Euro, say 1400
or 1500 dollars, than the pricey HP when similarly specced.

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's recipes:
http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutefoodindex.html