Old March 3rd 04, 11:31 AM
Tim Hall

Default Legal Requirements for Braking systems on Trikes/Recumbent Trikes

"Russ" wrote in message ...
Hi

Not such a regular here these days but still lurking :-)

Anyway need some advice - currently looking at getting back on the road in
one of these
http://www.bike-on.com/newhandcycles/XLTPro.htm

Nice looking machine.

but am investigating being able to swap wheels between 650c and 24" wheels
with fat tyres for those sustrans trails with the kids days.

In theory the only problem with this is the ability to match the brakes up.
These types of bikes usually have two brakes both on the front wheel to
comply (presumably) with rules on numbers of braking systems. Now I know a
bike has to have two braking systems to be road legal but does anyone know
if the same rules apply to a trike ? I'm proposing to fit a cable operated
disc brake to the front wheel but need to decide how to work the second
brake.

My tandem trike was built with three brakes - a canti and a caliper on
the front wheel, and an Arai drum on one of the rear axles. When I
got it it had been modified so it has just a V brake on the front and
the drum on the rear.

This is a bit marginal, but fitting brakes on a conventional trike is
a bit of conundrum.

Presumably the brakes on the rear wheels are rim brakes of some sort.
Can you get drums fitted instead - inboard perhaps.

Not sure of the legal position. Have you tried the Tricycle
Association website http://www.tricycle-association.org.uk/. I
believe beards are no longer compulsory.

Tim, googling from work.