Old March 4th 04, 01:31 PM
Colin Blackburn

Default [OT] Where to find laws on the internet? Toys R Us Trying to shut down a site

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:17:51 -0000, Mark Thompson
(change warm for hot) wrote:

A website I occasionally visit is under threat of legal action by Toy R
Us
(http://www.ratzrus.co.uk/toysrus.htm), despite being non-commercial and
not
about Toy R Us at all. We don't think that the trademark laws apply to
non-commercial sites but would like to make sure.

It seems a bit over the top from them but maybe they find it easier to
pick on a non-commercial site. I notice from a quick google that there are
several commerial sires using the "r-us" idea selling everthing from
crafts to fm transmitters.

To bring it vaguely on topic there is a Bikes R Us in London though
Toys-backwardsR-Us also seem to use the term Bikes-backwardsR-Us for
subdepartments of their stores.

Do you know if they have taken or threatened actions against any other
companies or websites and what the outcomes have been?

Colin