Old March 4th 04, 02:32 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default [OT] Where to find laws on the internet? Toys R Us Trying to

Mark Thompson wrote:

They are still there tho, but I've found reports of lots of sites that have

just
had to close down after receiving the threatening letters. They can of

course
start up under a new name but they lose all their search engine rankings so
no-one can find them.

It seems rather unlikely to me that they could win, given how widespread
the "r-us" usage is and the complete absence of any overlap between the
nature of the sites. But that doesn't mean they could cause the site
owners a lot of trouble and cost them time and money defending themselves...

James

Puts brain into gear for delving into dim recesses of long-term memory
(sound of rusty cogs creaking...movement starting)

A few years ago Toys-backwardsR-Us decided to get heavy with an animal shelter
(almost sure it was a UK one) which had the R-Us bit in its name. It backed off
in the end as it had a mass mailing attack from an awful lot of animal lovers
across the globe who snail-mailed, emailed, faxed and phoned and told them what
a bunch of silly arses they were to be picking on a small animal charity, which
in no way could ever be confused with the huge business that is
Toys-backwardsR-Us and if they didn't desist in their idiotic course of action,
they'd be losing customers... lots of customers. It worked. At least that's my
recollection of it... I have been known to be wrong on occasion, just don't
tell Vernon or Nathan, it'll *ruin* my reputation of being SheWhoIsAlwaysRight
;-)

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune