Old March 4th 04, 03:22 PM
Frobnitz

Default [OT] Where to find laws on the internet? Toys R Us Trying to shut down a site

"Mark Thompson" (change warm for hot)
wrote in message ...
We don't think that the trademark laws apply to
non-commercial sites but would like to make sure. Any other information

would
be helpful if you've got it to hand - I assume this kind of pointless

bullying
happens quite a lot.

Write to the company and ask specifically which UK laws, and which sections
are being broken. I hate to sound negative, but I have seen a lot of
reports (primarily on The Register) which seem to suggest that that
trademark holders are being successful in their actions (I know it's
continental US-based, but I believe the beast of Redmond successfully
browbeat someone who had mike-rowesoft.com into handing over the domain [for
an undisclosed sum]). Companies (okay, to my certain knowledge I can only
point at ICI and Shell) employ people who have the sole task of examining
the various media, whether print, broadcast, network or whatever for any use
or abuse of any of their trademarks, and then to jump, both heavily and
heavyhandedly, on any infringement. Google have apparently formally
requested that dictionaries do not have the verb "to google" included - they
don't want to be hoovered up by the opposition.

url:http://www.cla.org/RuhBook/chp3.htm may have some more information, and
may give hope, but IANAL........