Old August 15th 04, 04:22 AM
GRL

Reality check time rolls round yet again.

You could have saved even more money buying a $200 bike at a place like
Dick's.

You cannot get the range of workout on your bike that you can get at a
health club. It is physically imposable. You saved some bucks leaving the
club, but you lost workout quality.

Buying your dream bike will not save you any money, will not help the
environment (does not need your help, anyway) any more than your riding a
$200 bike would.

If all you wanted was a nice workout and to save some gas you could get a
pair of $40 running shoes and ,,,run. Carry some weights and you even get
a better workout.

- GRL

" It's good to want things. "

- Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, graphic artist, Visual Basic
programmer)
"Actually34" wrote in message
About a year ago, I ditched the health club I belonged to when its annual
family membership fees approached $1,000 a year (and my kids had both left

home
to go to college) and took up cycling. I use my bike to excercise while

running
errands to the store almost everyday, and commuting to work, school or

the
library. By bicycling and not driving, I estimate I save about $520 a year

in
gas and wear and tear on the car (more if you count parking fees). I've

already
repaid the price of my Specialized Hardrock (used) and the modifications

to it
for commuting. Over the next 10 years, I figure I'll save more than

$15,200
just in health club dues and auto expenses. Maybe one of these days I'll
splurge, go hog wild, and trade up to a Co-Motion (I can't afford a

Ferrari,
but can afford the Ferrari -- well, mabye the Mercedes Benz -- of

bicycles).
I'll still be up more than 12 grand. Tell your non riding friend to ponder

that
in all his smugness.

And the environmental benefits are for everybody.

David