Old September 15th 03, 10:24 PM
Bob M

Default Riding a century -- Update

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:05:40 -0500, Pat wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

Well, I rode the 100km, which ended up being 69 miles due to my missing
few turns. I felt fine at the end, even though my HR averaged 85 % of
my
max HR for the 5 hours, 8 minutes I rode (4 hours, 45 minutes of saddle
time). I believe I could've rode the 100 miles, but it poured during my
ride, and it really poured when I was driving home. Of course, if I
made
63 miles into 69 miles, maybe I would've made 102 miles into 120, which
might've been a bit too much.
Thanks for the help!
-- Bob M in CT

I have discovered that if you don't feed totally wiped out at the end of
the
ride, then you could have gone farther. If you feel somehow "cheated"
that
the ride was over 'way too soon--then you certainly should have gone
farther. I felt this way earlier this summer after going 40 miles. I
kicked
myself all the way home wishing I had gone ahead and ridden the 100K
instead.

Pat in TX

I definitely could've gone farther, especially if I were to pay attention
to my HR monitor. I tried to keep up with people who were faster than I,
and I should've just let 'em go. Also, after the downpour, I put the pedal
to the metal so that I could get to the finish faster.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply