Old October 8th 12, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 7, 4:17*pm, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/7/2012 2:34 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ny+hop+a+bicyc....

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/99p39s2

Ah, good!

Looks to me like that verifies a lot of what Joe and I were saying.
He pulls up on the bars. But he doesn't jump up at the beginning;
instead, he gets his weight "as far back as you can," sort of kicking
his center of mass downward and backwards with respect to the bike
just before pulling the front wheel up. (That's a lot easier with a
short wheelbase BMX bike and low saddle.)

As the front wheel begins rising, he jumps his center of mass upward.
You can see his legs straighten.

Then comes the "scoop with your feet" that he mentions, the toes-down
action I described that helps kick the rear of the bike upward. He
also mentions a "J motion" of the hands, which corresponds to what Joe
was saying.

Oddly, he doesn't seem to mention that he "*willed* the bike into the
air." Since he's trying to _teach_ people, maybe he thought such
hocus-pocus language wasn't particularly helpful?

- Frank Krygowski