Old September 14th 18, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Bus bike rack too short, how to strap in a bike quickly? [update]

On 2018-08-24 07:35, Joerg wrote:
Couldn't believe it. Those great agency folks obviously didn't
test the bike racks for our local buses before signing the
contract. Long story short my 29er bike didn't fit in and neither
did my friend's. Luckily the driver was patient and helpful. We
had to load the bikes reversed so the hook goes over the rear
wheel. Not easy because of my panniers but worked, somehow. The
front wheels now rode up on the other side of the rack slot. We
both had bungee cords with which we strapped them down as hard as
we could. Oh, and the slot width barely fit my 2.25" wide MTB
tires barely squeezed in and I had to push down hard. The rack
looks like this:

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sho...8df2678ec2064b

When we arrived another rider put his 26" MTB on there on even that
barely fit in (rear wheel rode up half an inch).

Does anyone know a better "strap down" method that is faster
than wrapping a bungee around rim and rack numerous times?

Today I did a road bike trip where I also used the bus. The bus had
a 3-slot rack but only the innermost slot was designed correctly
with one end open.

The two outer slots were the same as before, bad design, too short.
I know that Jay and Sir won't believe this but I tried and verified
it: My road bike did _not_ go into those outer slots. Luckily the
inner slot was free.

Hey, don't use my name in vain.

IIRC you raised doubts in another thread about it and wrote that you are
6'4", which is taller than I am.

I've never used a bus bike rack because I ride everywhere and do not need to have my bike hauled on welfare-based mass-transit created by nanny government. Buses are for loser proles who are sucking off the public teat and not for real men like myself who live in the wilds of Oregon.

But now that we're going on about bike bus racks, I'll go to the practice spot and see if my bike fits. I'm assuming Sacramento is using a standard SportWorks model, which is basically the national standard rack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avQ6ZHKvNgI That Trek has a 41.7 WB. Go to :33 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETtnX_KScI8 A Volpe with fat tires. Maybe Sacto is screwing with you and sending you buses with the super-short racks.

-- Jay Beattie.