Old September 20th 18, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default Continental Ultra Sport tires

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 11:19:29 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 9:21:44 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 9:04:52 AM UTC-7, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 07:07:49 -0700 (PDT),
jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 5:21:05 AM UTC-7, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 07:33:24 -0000 (UTC),
dave wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 01:40:46 +0000, Theodore Heise wrote:

I've used mostly Continental tires for over 20 years
and nearly 100K miles of road riding. Recently I
got a half dozen Ultra Sports (700c x 25), and after
putting a new on on the front noticed a definite
bounce as it rolls. I've tried three now, with the
same results. The wheel is very true and round, with
no flat spots.

The bead is probably not seated right.

That's possible, but seems unlikely for *three*
different tires mounted at least five times. Also, I
inspected the seating of the tires pretty carefully, and
there is no apparent difference in tire placement around
the rim.

Your options are a defective tire or a tire that is not
beading. Some tire and rim combinations a just bad, and
you can get a tire that will not bead without soaping,
beating, prying, pumping, etc., etc. Untreated, the tire
will not bead no matter how long you ride it. Ultra
Sports are an unhappy combination on my Sun CR18 rim
which has a shallow rim well. They're tight, but they do
bead and are round. I quit using them because of poor
sidewall durability. I never had one that was
mismanufactured.

Thanks, Jay (and dave). I suppose there is some small
chance that I got a group of defective tires from a bad
manufacturing run, but the non-beading point does seem more
likely. I should have added that getting the tires off
takes some active inward pushing to get the bead out of the
hook on the rim. In some spots, a surprising amount of
force is needed. So this too points to bead seating
problems.

I will try one of these tires on another bike with different
rims, see what I get, and report back.

It also seems like my best bet is to go with a different
tire for this bike. I'd like to stay with Conti's but don't
want the expense of the Grand Prix. Any suggestions?

Gatorskins for durability, although they can be tight, too --
and they have a pretty dead road feel. 4-Seasons for a
great-but-expensive all weather tire. The 4-Seasons ride
really well, but because of cost, I typically buy the Michelin
Pro4 Endurance for a winter fast tire. The Michelin are
consistently on close-out. Otherwise, its the GP. I think
there are better deals on Michelin and other tires
domestically.

Thanks, Jay.

You can use the Pro4 Endurance as tubeless tires. Continental
presently isn't making a tubeless tire but they told me that
they should be on the shelves in the spring.

Not sure how this is relevant, I'm not interested in tubeless (nor
do I think the rims support such use).

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA