Old February 28th 19, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Coaster Brake Failure

On 28/2/19 10:07 am, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 05:54:43 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 07:25:37 +1100, James
wrote:

On 26/2/19 7:06 pm, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 18:09:31 +1100, James
wrote:

I think most tractors have wet brakes. Mine does. They seem to work.

Wet as in "water" or wet as in "oil"?

They run in transmission oil. Sealed from the elements and oil cooled.

If, and I am assuming, you mean farm tractor as apposed to road
tractor (and trailer) do the breaks get that hot? I know that
Caterpillar earth moving tractors (Bulldozers) have internal brakes
but I always assumed that was more a matter of keeping things clean
rather than cooling.

do the brakes get hot :-(

Yes a farm tractor. I've never heard of a road tractor (and trailer).
What do you mean by that?

For the work I do with my tractor they don't get at all hot. Apparently
they can heat up though. Like most tractors, the brake pedal is split
in two. Left and right side brakes can be controlled individually, or
the pedals joined as one. To help turn, apparently, you can apply the
brake to one side only, and in boggy or slippery conditions, you can
apply the brake to the side that is spinning so that power is delivered
to the tyre with grip. My tractor also has a rear diff lock and is 4WD,
so it has to be quite slippery or very uneven ground before I get stuck.

I think though reliability is the key. They apparently last much longer
without maintenance than a dry type would that is exposed to dirt and water.

--
JS