Old March 1st 19, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Coaster Brake Failure

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 16:49:52 -0800, Joerg

On 2019-02-27 14:47, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 08:09:04 -0800, Joerg

On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years
old?

They must have improved it.

In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums
up the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in
software design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_D8r-2hwk

Sometimes those things happen for reasons Tom mentioned. People using
library modules that others have written, assuming everything in those
we be just fine. And then things aren't.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer gear with the least amount of
electronics and software in there and, for example, will never be caught
with electronic shifters on a bicycle.

True, but then people also have had the metal shift cables break and
been restricted to a single gear. It appears that everything is
subject to failure :-)

That is very rare, more so than a derailer ripped away by a rock.

Main thing is, with batteries the number of available shifts per charge
is finite. I was told that front shifts are especially hard on the
battery and on mountainous singletrack that's used a lot.

Well, I don't have an electric shift but I have read that folks that
use the Shimano electric shift have to recharge, or replace the
battery every year or so, which doesn't sound like an impossibly
frequent task.

If I had north of $1k burning in my pocket I'd rather spend that on a
Rohloff. That one allows shifts across the complete gear range at very
low or zero speed which is very useful in MTB riding. To heck with the
extra weight.

Good Lord! You have been talking about retirement, you own two cars,
You live in a gated community and can't afford a thousand dollars?
Look at it as an investment, after all you could change the rear wheel
when you change bikes.

The other day I was reading, in another group, about a guy that was
buying a cheap hand phone for a pre-teen kid and it was "only" $180. I
had assumed that all you "round eyes" were rich.
--

Cheers,

John B.