Old February 15th 05, 01:42 PM
GeeDubb

Craig Brossman wrote:
G.T. wrote:
"Craig Brossman" wrote in message
Good luck to you guys, we know down here how dry years can be.
We have 1/2 of our yearly moisture already for the year, it has been
warm, but very very wet.
In fact I may have to bag the biking trip to Phoenix because it
could be too wet

We have 9" more than our average yearly total but it's never too wet
in the desert. We rode the local desert right after the rain on
Saturday and not a speck of mud. Just nice moist dg.

GT

That should have said 1/3, not 1/2, but regarding too wet near
Phoenix. I am planing on camping with my son this weekend at McDowell
Mtn. If it rains at all during the week and is cloudy the rest, will
trail riding be a bad idea?
I would guess the trails in that area are mostly sand and therefor
drain quite well, how wrong am I?

Mike pretty much summed it up. Most trails are rocky or sandy and drain
well. McDowell tends to be muddier than most areas and a lot of the trail
runs through washes. The trails on South Mountain are mostly rock with few
areas of soil other than sand so rideable even when raining.

The first day Mike and I rode on Trail 100 we split the rain storms and had
little mud to contend with even though there was a lot of running and
standing water as we rode.

Weather forecast is most of the rain on Friday and tapering off on Saturday.

Gary