Old March 8th 19, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Now Back In Ho****er

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 2:16:00 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 1:09:11 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 9:59:25 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/7/2019 11:21 AM, wrote:
The hot water had slowed to a very light stream full on in the kitchen. I dug around and found a bucket that would fit under the sink. The facet is one of the new kind that passes both hot and cold and anything in between by rotation of the level and velocity by lifting the lever.

I turned off the hot water valve, pulled the hose off and placed it in the bucket and turned the cold water on and rotated it to a position in which the hot and cold would mix. The high pressure cold water flowed through the hit water hose and blew a bunch of fairly large stones out of the entire hot water passageway.

I was sort of worried that there cold be some stuck in the valve as well but reassembled the hot water pressure and flow rate is back up to the same as the cold water rate.

So I didn't have to crawl under the sink to take the entire plastic hose off, turn the house water off and remove the hot water valve and clean it or replace the entire sink valve with stones too deeply embedded in the narrow piping to be retrieved.

Sometimes things work out well and other times we have to listen to Frank....

Sounds like victory!
Speaking as a guy who's generally suspicious of many modern
'improvements', I just love flexible supply tubes.

As for improvements, PEX beats the hell out of soldering copper unless you love to solder copper. I have a go-no-go device for clamp rings.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-3...010C/301921125 Easy-peasy, except the SS clamps aren't cheap.

If Tom is having a problem with only the hot water side, then his hot water heater is on the way out. It's probably banging with sediment and producing rust.

I re-did about a third of the piping in my house with copper as part of a bathroom remodel, and one of the high points of my life was when the inspector spontaneously commented on how clean the joints were. None have blown-up yet, which is the thing I worry about. The true artisan solderer was the guy who did the work on my hot water radiant system when the new boiler went in. Massive copper pipes going to distribution manifolds. Gorgeous joints. Just the pipe lay out with all the mixing valves and pumps and circuits is a thing of beauty. Every time I work on that system, I get a sinking feeling and think "WTF am I doing?" My wife just says it out loud. I'm going to have a professional look at it next time around.

-- Jay Beattie.

It has nothing to do with the hot water heater. This all started during our drought about five years ago when they started worrying about Hetch-hetchy running low and San Francisco stopped selling excess water to the surrounding communities.

We started using our local (HUGE) reservoir and since the piping systems was little used it was filled with mud and small stones. The cold water part of the system cleans itself out with garden hoses and the like that can pass all of this stuff. But hot water systems all go through much smaller tubing - Showers and sinks etc. These trap the small stones and you have to clean them out occasionally. The same thing happens to the sink cold water system. I have a aerator/filter nozzle and it has to be removed regularly and the small stones cleaned out.

Pipe sizing for hot is the same as cold, although service to a cold hose bib may be 3/4" rather than 1/2", but both are plenty big enough to pass sediment.

I don't know if the water system will ever work properly ever again because the aging water pipes in this part of town were installed in 1944 and the population is presently 40 times what it was then and the same water pipes are there. So the pressure is a great deal lower than it should be.

You should get a whole house filter or a trap of some sort.

-- Jay Beattie.