Old March 10th 19, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default The death of rim brakes?

On 3/10/2019 3:51 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 8:22:10 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/10/2019 11:07 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 2:34:24 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim brakes a dead deal.

Deacon Mark

Try to find a ATB without disc brakes. I think that is also gonna happen with road bikes.

Fashion is weird and powerful.

For off road, discs are clearly better. It is not even debatable. Discs are better for some road applications as well...

Agreed - but what is the magnitude on "better"?

As I've said, we're deep into diminishing returns on bikes. Sales
literature pushes people to buy a 17 pound bike instead of a 19 pound
one, so the bike+rider weight diminishes by 1%. Get Dura-Ace instead of
105 because the shifts are 20 milliseconds faster. Ditch your front
derailleur and reduce your aerodynamic drag.

In real life, stopping "better" almost never means anything practical.

but clearly rim brakes are fine for dry weather road riding with aluminum rims. I'm sure they will be around forever.

Yes, and those of us who don't have to do panic stops in the rain on 10%
downhills don't have to respond to this market churning.

--
- Frank Krygowski