Old April 27th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Riddle

Default Elmer's Rubber Cement is not the vulcanizing kind!

"jim beam" wrote in message
t...
RonSonic wrote:
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 20:08:02 -0700, (Tom
Keats) wrote:

In article
,
Ablang writes:
I bought a 4oz jar (UPC 0 269050 8) of this stuff from Home Depot
last
year for about $2.50. Pretty cheap stuff.

I finally got a chance to use these on my inner tubes for my 27" x
1-1/4" tires (100 psi) and found out that they don't really stick
permanently. The next day I discover that some part of the patch
has
breached.

In trying to figure out what I did wrong (I have successfully
patched
other tires before using the glue from patch kits), I figure it's
that
I'm either using too thick of a layer of Elmer's or that this
rubber
cement really isn't the vulcanizing kind.

What do you guys think?

Where can I buy (in bulk) a large amount of the vulcanizing cement
from at the best price?
Y'see what a Pandora's can o' worms you've opened? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Might as well have started another chain cleaning/lubrication
thread.

Hey Tom, maybe I can help.

In emergencies I've successfully shortened and rewelded "rubber"
belts in things
like tape recorders and turntables using super glue (cyano-acrylate).
It works
very nicely. I've read of people healing cuts in tire treads with the
stuff as
well. Has anyone tried the stuff on patches?

loctite 404 is /specific/ for rubbers. it comes in their o-ring kits.

404 dries hard as a rock too.

Cheers