Old August 9th 05, 10:36 PM
Chalo

Default building a Fireman's Cruzer

wrote:

I did a bunch of reading last night and was able to figure out the
spacing difference This frame definitely takes 110-120mm axles.

The Fireman's Texas Cruiser uses 110mm spacing.

Seems like the Profiles have quite a bit of
choice and availability as far as cogs go. If I go with them, I'll
pick up a couple of extra cogs. I don't foresee changing gear ratiors
on a regular basis, but it looks like cassette is the new standard.

Cassettes are the latest trend, but they are not the "new standard" in
any real sense. They all use proprietary sprockets and drivers, so
when you buy one, you place a bet that your particular hub's parts are
going to remain available for as long as you want to use the bike.

To my mind, freewheel hubs are not only a better value, they are a
better choice for your application. There's no practical reason for a
big-wheeled bike like the Fireman's Texas Cruiser to use a sprocket
smaller than 16t.

I'm also leaning towards Profile cranks and Evolution BB,

I have had several quality control issues and warranty replacements on
new Profile cranks, but I have never had even one such problem with any
other manufacturer's crank. I highly recommend Primo Powerbite cranks
instead. They're much more nicely made, and from better materials. I
say this as someone who has three sets of each of those cranks on his
own bikes at this moment.

Not sure on bars and grips yet.

S&M bars are very nice and widely available. Crupi make some gorgeous
aluminum bars that have given me many years of reliable service.

My favorite grips for BMX bars are ATI Pistol Grips. Big Cheese grips,
the ones with little stars all over them, are quite good and available
in fun color combinations.

http://www.staff-bmx.com/store/grpbrend/ati-pstl_n.html
http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=433&page=1

I'm going to be eating ramen noodles for a long time. :-)

Well, yeah... but note that Suzue sealed bearing hubs are better than
those you are considering IMO, that a Tange Levin headset is the
functional equal of a Chris King and much prettier, and that likewise
there exist many other first class parts that don't demand the very
highest prices.

Any recommendations for some excellent all-around rims?

Consider the Velocity Deep-V MTB. It uses a much taller, wider
extrusion than the road Deep-V. It weighs about the same as a Rhyno
Lite, but makes for a stronger wheel overall. If you like the unusual
look of it (and I do), then it's a great choice.

Chalo Colina