Old November 1st 08, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Default Cycle Infrastructure Design

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Paul Luton wrote:
At pinch points : "in the absence of a cycle bypass) a minimum gap of 4
metres is recommended unless additional features to significantly reduce
motor vehicle speeds are incorporated"

Pinch points are a work of Stan. A 4m wide pinch point is not a pinch
point at all,

It is if the vehicle trying to overtake is a bus or lorry.

This is what annoys me about this document (which I have read). There's
some really good stuff in section 2 about cyclists' dynamic envelopes,
sensible distances to ride from the kerb, and the amount of clearance to
leave when overtaking a cyclist. Follow that guidance, and at 30mph or
more nothing wider than a motorbike should pass a cyclist in a 4m-wide
gap. For a bus to pass at 30 or more, you'd need 5.05m (table 2.3) and
even this assumes the bus grazes the island.

These dimensions are then ignored throughout the rest of the document,
in favour of figures for which no justification is given.

It appears that the original document has been heavily edited before
release by someone who didn't understand section 2.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.