Old September 4th 17, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Let the Laughing Begin

On 2017-09-04 13:00, wrote:
Yesterday I went on a long enough ride and the weather report turned
out to be incorrect enough that I was close to heat prostration near
the end.

I went up the MTB trail towards Placerville. Gulped down the contents of
all three 28oz water bottles which kept me humming. However, the air was
so bad from nearby wildfires that if wasn't super fun. To relax we hung
out at a horse ranch.

I hit a stone in the road that was invisible and it gave me a flat.

Should have used thick thorn-resistant tubes.

As I was trying to figure out how to make the particular CO2 filler
in that seat pack to work I punctured the canister and lost one of my
two CO2 tubes.

Opening the front tire to remove the inner tube and replace it with
the new tube a black guy who looked nearly homeless came by and said
that he had a patch kit if I needed it. I thanked him but without a
pump I couldn't find any leaks to patch.

When the front tube came out it was a Performance butyl tube. They
were available in a 30, a 40 and a 60 mm stem length. I have bought
the latex tubes because they were available in 51 mm stems. The back
(which was losing air about the same as the front) is latex.

So my tires not losing air plainly isn't because of the material of
the tubes.

My suspicion is the pump meter. I bought a new Silca professional
pump from Andrew and it has a new (and probably much better) pressure
gauge on it. This allows me to fill the tire up properly and to test
the pressure more accurately than most pumps.

So it probably is pump and not inner tube material related.

How can a "professional" pump be so wrong? I bought a $20 Zefal floor
pump for $20 at Walmart and its gauge tracked a commercial grade
pressure gauge in my lab very well.

Now don't say I lacked the courage to publicly correct myself when I
think I was wrong. How many of you can say the same thing - John and
Frank?

My wife would do that for me if I didn't :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/