Old September 4th 17, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Let the Laughing Begin

On 2017-09-04 13:00,
wrote:
Yesterday I went on a long enough ride and the weather report
turned out to be incorrect enough that I was close to heat
prostration near the end.

I went up the MTB trail towards Placerville. Gulped down the
contents of all three 28oz water bottles which kept me humming.
However, the air was so bad from nearby wildfires that if wasn't
super fun. To relax we hung out at a horse ranch.

I hit a stone in the road that was invisible and it gave me a
flat.

Should have used thick thorn-resistant tubes.

Wouldn't have helped. There was a rock shard driven threw the
gatorskin at it's toughest spot.

Through the running surface of a Gatorskin? That must have been a rock
from hell.

Sidewall, different thing. Gatorskins are totally flimsy there which is
one reason why I abandoned them.

How can a "professional" pump be so wrong? I bought a $20 Zefal
floor pump for $20 at Walmart and its gauge tracked a commercial
grade pressure gauge in my lab very well.

The professional is the one that's accurate and the cheaper one that
was both showing the wrong pressure and probably letting pressure
bleed off through the cheaper filler nozzle.

I'd have returned it to the store. A pump is supposed to show steady
pressure when you stop pumping and not leak.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/