Old September 8th 06, 01:05 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Default Questions about recumbent trikes

"DougC" wrote in message
Speaking for US-oriented examples--
The tadpoles tend to be lighter overall and more performance-oriented.

The deltas tend to be heavier, but have two advantages: one is that they
are easier for people with limited-mobility to get on and off of. The
other is that two or more deltas can be strung-together in a sort-of
tandem if the wheel from one is removed, and then the fork of it is hooked
onto the back of the other (some delta trikes have a bracket already for
this use, but if not, making one is not hardly impossible).

There are exceptions. My Tricruiser, a Tadpole, was very easy to get on and
off because the seat was quite high off the ground. It was so high that when
I pulled up alongside of cars, I could look eye-level with the drivers.

The very first trike I owned was a Sun Delta. There were two things I really
didn't like about it. One was that it had power to only one side. The other
was that the widest part of the trike was behind you so it was more
difficult to judge what you would fit through. I think if the first problem
were taken care of, however, I could like with the second.

I understand that Hase has a recent model that supplies power to both wheels
instead of just one. I imagine that I'd do just fine with that.

Now I'm looking for a trike that can use both hand and foot power. The only
one I know of is a Tadpole.