Old December 19th 18, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:15:49 PM UTC, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

Back when you had to manually set the mixture, manually advance the ignition timing, start the car with a crank and manually change gears it might have been an issue. But not now.

When I learnt to drive reasonably priced cars didn't have rev counters
and so I was taught to listen to the pitch of the engine. I think
listening is better than a rev counter as we instinctively hear whereas
we need to pro-actively read a rev counter.

Yep, that's how I drive. I can tell my speed from engine noise with occasional glances at the speedo (1).

[1] Short form of Speedometer. Speedo may get Pounder excited because it means men in skimpy under/swim wear in Leftpondia.