Old December 19th 18, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On 19/12/2018 14:25, wrote:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 2:03:58 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

This Uber driver was watching TV when she killed a pedestrian though.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2561...crash-cyclist/

There seems to be some controversy about whether the deceased person was
a cyclist or a pedestrian (presumably at the moment of impact). You say
pedestrian, the article you cited says cyclist.

In fact, this may be one of those rare occasions when either description
is arguably correct, though even the website seems unsure of its ground:

Headline: Uber Was Warned Before Self-Driving Car Crash That Killed Cyclist

Story body text: The car struck Herzberg at nearly 40 mph. She later
died of her injuries at the hospital, becoming the first known
pedestrian death caused by a self-driving car.

Self-directing motor vehicles are either safe or unsafe. if they're
unsafe, they ought not to be operating on the highway, come what may.

The companies developing them need, surely, to prove their safety on a
private road network with no access for the general public. I note that
the State of California has already banned the use of these vehicles on
their highways.