Old December 19th 18, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Why do cars still have rev-counters?

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 4:15:49 PM UTC, Tom Evans wrote:
On 19/12/2018 14:03, Simon Jester wrote:

We have been told many times that speed cameras cause accidents because drivers are concentrating on the speedometer rather than the road. And competent drivers drive at a safe speed for the conditions rather than a number on a post. I wonder how many of these 'Uber' drivers have blanked off their tachometers.

Why did cars ever have rev counters. I never look at mine and have no
idea what an appropriate rev reading is.

I often check mine to see if I am in 4th/5th or 6th gear at ~60mph as my engine is so quiet and I like to be in 6th gear whilst doing 50mph.