Old October 31st 18, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Crash Coregan

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 16:28:37 -0700, Joerg wrote:

I've had my cone comeuppance a different way. During a long desert drive
it got late. Aahhh, some trees, lets overnight there so we can sleep in
and won't be pelted by the morning sun. No tent needed, just roll out
the mats and the sleeping bags and the doze off. Shortly thereafter
phsss ... BUMPH. One of these had landed just a foot from my head:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/12...er-pine-cones-

large-in-hand_1024x1024.jpg?v=1506527768

Naah, this is a "pine cone"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A...illii_cone.jpg

Further info.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_bidwillii

The distribution is far wider than they say. I know/knew of one about 60
miles north of Sydney and would hold a ride every year in the hope of
scoreing some of the cones to take to our camp for roasting and boiling.

You'd also see them in moist gullies up the east coast when bushwalking.