View Single Post
Old November 2nd 18, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Nashbar P-Handle Wrenches -- and thank you Royal Mail

On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 3:24:16 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped
You can drive out a chain pin with a nail and a rock, but who does that? What shop mechanic uses a pocket tool to work on a bike. But if you don't want to buy tools or are enamored of nails and rocks, then who am I to dictate tool (or component) fashion?

-- Jay Beattie.

You can't use just any nail either. It has to be hardened and of the right diameter to drive out the chain link pin and not damage the chain plate. Why anyone would advocate scrounging for a nail and a rock in order to repair a chain is beyond me. Remember that in one of his earlier posts Joerg stated that he got the nail from a fence. A dedicated chain tool on a Multi-tool weighs very little and it can be detached and stored with the proper size hex wrench. My chain breaker uses a 5mm hex key as the handle.

As I've said before, what Joerg probably needs for those super knarly trails he rides is a motorized dirt bike with the motor removed and converted to a chain drive only. After all, he repeatedly states that weight is not a concern. Wait a minute! Weight isn't a concern by a multi-tool that weighs a few ounces is a problem for him to carry? WOW!

I carry what I think I'll need on whatever ride I go on. That varies depending on the terrain and length of the ride and whether I'm riding alone or with a group.

Cheers
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home