Old November 9th 18, 12:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Preserving en-route repair material

John B. slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 11:50:49 -0500, Duane
wrote:

On 08/11/2018 11:26 AM, Mark J. wrote:
On 11/7/2018 11:12 AM, Duane wrote:
On 07/11/2018 8:08 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

As probably many of you, I keep essential repair tools and material in a
small bag under my saddle, that is: a folding screwdriver, a spare inner
tube, tire levers, patches, sandpaper and glue. And disposable plastic
gloves!

Anyway, I have an issue with preserving the spare inner tube and the
glue over time. I noticed the tube gets punctured, apparently by
abrasion, and the glue slowly evaporates, like its tube is not really
airtight.

I read somewhere that I could protect the tube by keeping it tightly
wrapped into an old sock, which I will try, but would you have any
advice regarding the glue?

Cheers,

I keep my tubes in a baggie. Not sure what you can do for glue.

For glue tubes, the RBT consensus appears to be:

1) Once opened, replace the glue tube.Â* (I usually save up flats so I
can use up more of a tube upon opening; glue tubes in the saddle bag are
one-shot emergency items).

2) Replace /un/opened glue tubes periodically, 'cause even unopened ones
dry out over time.Â* This one is hard to follow, who remembers when they
last changed that glue tube in their saddle bag?

Mark J.

I don't carry glue. I carry two tubes and a patch kit. I just replaced
the patch kit after reading this thread as I haven't used a patch in a
few years.

Does anyone use those "glue-less" patches? I've tried them a few times
and they don't seem to stick very well and the few that did stick
seemed to leak a lot and I had to replace them with conventional glue
on patches after getting home.
cheers,

John B.

If you mean the peel and stick patches, that’s what I carry. They’re only
for an emergency when I run through my two tubes and there’s no one with me
to borrow a tube from. This rarely happens hence the periodic
replacement.

I don’t know how well they work long term. I’ve only used them to get home
and only rarely.

--
duane