Old November 9th 18, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Cold weather, sore throat

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 20:40:35 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 10:22:22 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
For the past few years, my winter riding has fallen off to just a few
miles at a time. The main reason is, I seem to be very susceptible to
sore throats after I ride in the cold. Some of the sore throats have
degenerated into scary bronchitis.

I'm just curious if anyone else battles this problem, and if anyone has
any tips on preventing it.

- Frank Krygowski

Hi there Frank. I use one of these masks from a Dollar store when the
air temperature is cold and I might be breathing heavily. It works
marvelously - like having a heater for your air.
https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=3981
Cheers

That type of mask will probably be good enough. However, if it
doesn't work, look into various "cold weather breathing masks" such
as:
https://www.hammacher.com/product/subzero-warm-breath-mask
The description explains how it works. There are also full face
versions and those with attached goggles, which will probably not be
necessary. Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=cold+weather+breathing+mask&tbm=isch

Long ago, I was on a ski trip and needed a mask. I destroyed an
expensive Gortex jacket to improvise a mask. It kept the moisture and
warm air in my mouth and was good enough until I could buy something
better.

I have a variety of minor medical problems that tend create sore
throat problems for me (acid reflux, narrowed nasal passage, dry mouth
due to drugs, etc). When I make a mistake and get a sore throat, it
tends to persist for a few days. My solution is a nebulizer or a
humidifier only when the relative humidity is low or a honey and lemon
juice cocktail to ease the irritation.

I'm not sure if all of these sore throat remedies actually work (or
are safe) but it might be useful to experiment:
"Sore Throat Remedies: 16 Natural Gargles"
https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/sore-throat-remedies-home-gargles/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D