Old November 16th 18, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Preserving en-route repair material

On 2018-11-07, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:

I read somewhere that I could protect the tube by keeping it tightly
wrapped into an old sock, which I will try, but would you have any
advice regarding the glue?

For the tube, an old sock can be insufficient to prevent rub-through
failure. (I've been there.) Zip-top plastic bags suffer the same
fate. For the past few years I've been using bags made from tubes:

https://www.greengurugear.com/collec...m-zipper-pouch

Although the zippers aren't perfect, those bags haven't worn through
since I began using them, making them the best solution so far.

That looks pretty sturdy. Agree on the fragility of ziptop bags,
they're not made to last, at all.

I use a small roll-top nylon bag intended for backpacking, I seem to
recall it was suprisingly spendy, but after several years who can
remember? No holes, keeps out water, pretty shade of blue. I keep the
tools in an old sock inside the bag -- keeps them together, prevents
them rubbing the tube, and gives me something to wipe my hands on.

(For the glue, as many others have recommended, just don't expect to
use a container more than once, and test it every so often to ensure
it's still liquid.)