Old December 30th 17, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Road Tolls 2018

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 13:56:23 -0800 (PST)
Simon Jester wrote:

Road damage is 4th power of axle loading.
A 1000kg car causes 100 000 times as much damage as a 10kg primary
vehicle. If primary vehicle users pay 1p per mile, moronists must pay
£10 per mile. Sounds fair to me.

ITYF it's gross axle weight that matters. I'm not sure how the
calculation varies with pressure at the road surface - me on a bike
with 20mm tyres at 140PSI probably exerts a higher pressure than a small
car. Of course it seems the calculation ignores the existence of
single track vehicles anyway, otherwise they'd be considering wheel
considering pressure along with weight though - a LGP vehicle can do
less damage to delicate heathland than an inconsiderately ridden
mountain bike, and I imagine that similarly applies to road structures.