Old January 19th 18, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mr Pounder Esquire

Default Reducing speed to 20mph

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 09:46:28 -0000, Handsome Jack
wrote:
Ian Jackson posted

In my local town, there are 13 speed bumps in a 30 limit, all in a
distance of about 600 yards. They are the individual, rectangular
type, in pairs - one on each half of the road.

Motor bikes can pass between the bumps, or on either side. Chelsea
Tractors (which comprise at least half the vehicles in this affluent
part of the world) can usually completely straddle one the bumps.

Yes, that sort of bumps are stupid. You need the continuous ones
right across the road. I really don't understand why local
authorities put in the square type. Perhaps because of their cycling
fetish.
It's really only those with 'ordinary' cars with a 'normal' wheel
width that really suffer. You have the choice of having either the
left side or the right side of the car experiencing the full lift
of centre of the a bump, or partially straddling it - with both
sides of the car getting only a partial lift as the wheels pass
simultaneously over both of the sloping shoulders.

Despite it being a 30 limit, I wouldn't dream of passing over any of
the 13 bumps at more than about 20mph. As I resist the temptation to
accelerate between the bumps, I end up travelling the whole 600
yards at 20. [I don't mind this at all - and would indeed be happy
to do the same if there was a bump-less 20 limit.] However, I then
often end up with a procession of vehicles following me at 20mph.
There are occasions when one vehicle will suddenly break rank, and
tear off furiously to the front of the procession at a hell of a
lot more than the 30 limit.

Very rare, I would think. Few drivers are as ****witted as all that.
I've driven in an area with those speed bumps for 25 years now and
have never seen anyone do it.

I overtake people on bumps all the time, it's far easier to get past
someone when they slow to 10mph.
As the road with the bumps ends at a 'Give Way' sign at a T-junction
with another road, I usually reach the end immediately behind the
vehicle that couldn't wait behind me, waiting at the Give Way sign.

The whole thing is crazy.

There are no traffic measures that give complete protection against
utter imbeciles. The best you can do is deter them doing the most
dangerous things, like driving down residential roads at 50.

You can't stop me doing that. More bumps and more limits just make
me more angry. All they're doing is slowing down the slow drivers. The
fast ones just raise their middle finger.

Pillock