Old October 12th 15, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Correcting a cross-threaded bottom bracket?

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 07:28:14 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 10/12/2015 4:06 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I was finally able to get the bottom bracket off of a friend's steel frame English threads bottom bracket bike. Whew what a job! The fixed cup cup was cross-threaded. He wants to put in a standard square-taper spindle cartridge bottom bracket. The problem is since the fixed cup was cross-threaded I can't get the new cartridge to thread in properly. Does a decent bicycle shop have a way to correct the cross-threaded threads in the bottom bracket shell? If so what's a ballpark price for doing it?

Thanks and cheers

A piloted tap set can remove occlusions and ensure both
threads are on the same axis.

Taps however are subtractive machining. You won't have any
more thread height than now, and likely less. Some
inspection, measurement, analysis and advice from someone
who does this work regularly would be a good start.

And an application of locktite to the repaired thread on assembly
would be a good second step. I had a Raliegh Twenty with a
cross-threaded bottom bracket (fixed cup) that I got the thread
cleaned up on resulting in about halth thread depth (or less) and it
would not stay tight. I took it apart, cleaned it with acetone,
sprayed it with loc-tite prime-bond, and applied a couple drops of
locktite stud mount. It never moved again. That was a good 10 years
ago.