Old August 19th 17, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Towing carbon-frame bicycles?

On 2017-08-19 12:02, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/19/2017 1:51 PM, Joerg wrote:
It rarely happens but I have towed bicycles on occasion when
a chain was irreparably pretzeled or the derailer had
snapped. Or as "power assist" when a rider plain ran out of
steam. I carry a towing rope in the left pannier. It doubles
as a tie down rope for bulky loads and to tie down the bike
in the bed of a pickup truck.

Now that many bikes have fancy carbon frames this brings up
the question whether one can still tie the towing rope to
the head tube. Or is that now too sensitive and it is better
to wrap it somewhere around the stem area?

If it's deemed necessary for one reason or another, a better idea may be
to have the towed rider simply hold the end of rope or cord. One might
also simply ride along pushing the rider's hip occasionally with one
hand. I have seen some ugly crashes on group rides over the years with a
tethered bicycle.

Holding is an option even on a road (side-by-side riding isn't) but it
means the other cyclist can't use the brakes well but he or she is going
to have to do most of the braking. As long as no slack is allowed in the
rope I found it to be fairly safe. It's mainly for long uphill slogs and
not at high speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFtJQpQlFss

Even motorcyclists do it. If the engine quits in the middle of nowhere
in Nevada it may be the only option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmerGH5zkF4

The worst we've ever done as students was transporting a bed, as is,
over several miles. Strapped to the rack of my bike and tied to the
handlebar of the other cyclist's bike. Max pressure in the tires. We had
to cross the then still existing German-Dutch border which raised some
eyebrows among the guys in uniforms.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/