Old September 23rd 17, 06:42 AM posted to gnu.emacs.help,rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Default program to compute gears, with table

On 9/9/2017 9:06 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
,,,

On my mac at work, from the time I double click the excel icon to the
time it is ready to do work is over a minute. It's a modern machine,
running an old version of excel. The windows machine I have, but
never use, which is more powerful, and running a current version,
takes even longer. It does have a spinny disk, and not an ssd.
(that's not counting the time to takes to boot up, since it's off.)

Your Mac/PC/Excel experience seems slow.
I don't use Office at work and use LibreOffice at home now, so I don't
really know how bad the rental version of MS Office is these days.

I have not written nor used a CLI program in many years. I'd rather do
it in a GUI (Visual Basic) just for the copy & paste ability that comes
along for free. PCs are so big and fast now that there's little point in
worrying about saving a few kilobytes--or even, a few hundreds of
kilobytes. And arguing that a CLI is somehow "better" than a GUI is like
arguing that a well and an outhouse are somehow "better" than indoor
plumbing.

Also I have written programs in the past and not included any help
files, and then forgotten how to use them. With the VB programs, I put
in a few help buttons + message boxes that explain how to use the thing,
so the help can't ever get separated from the program it goes with...