Old June 12th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Three Speed tob tube shifter cables??

Someone wrote:

Hi all,

Hi Sheldon :=))

My BSA (should that be BitSA?) is comming on, i've got the hubs and the
headset moving smoothly, the main items left are the brakes, chain and
the gear shift.

I would really like to use the existing gearshift which is located on
the top tube. I've lost the nice shiny cover which had BSA stamped
into it unfortunately (anyone got a spare?? :=)), but the gubbins all
seem to be there.

That's called a "quadrant" shifter.

The 3 speed hub is a BSA and the little dangle chain thingy coming out
of it has a course (ooh err missus!) thread. I do have a little brass
thread converter thingie which converts to a fine (metric??) thread
which is almost but not exactly unlike the internal thread on the SA
(or SA look alike) widget which would then clamp onto the cable - Phew!

What I would like is a cable which would go from the top tube shifter
down to the dangly chain thingy in as few moves as possible.

This is easier than you might expect. The standard Sturmey-Archer
replacement cables currently available work just fine for this
application.

The fitting at the shifter is the same as used by the handlebar-mounted
trigger.

You just throw away the housing and cut the cable shorter.

These cables come with a bolt-on "anchorage" that has the female
threaded fitting to connect to the indicator spindle chain.

You can see pictures at:

http://harriscyclery.com/sturmey-archer-parts.html

If you are in the U.K., it would be silly to order something like this
from the U.S. but I would expect any decent bike shop over there to have
a Sturmey-Archer cable. If you have trouble, try St John Street Cycles,
Bridgewater, Somerset...I'm sure they'll have 'em.

Sheldon "Epicyclic" Brown
Santa Cruz, California
| How harmful overspecialization is. |
| It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding. |
| --Isaac Asimov |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide