Old April 12th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default Is Frame spacing for 7 Gears = to 5 Gears?

wrote:

My sister who lives 400+ plus kilometres from me wants me to overhaul
and upgrade her old NORCO Fiori bicycle. It is a 10 gear setup. She
wants to go to 21 gears because ofthe hills she is encountering and
also to reduce the jumps between gears.

I have everything I need to convert this bicycle to 21 gears for her.
I can't remember if the distance between the rear dropouts is the same
for a 7 gear Shimano 600 hub and a regular 5 gear hub. Is it the same
distance for both a 5 gear and a 7 gear hub?

5-speed spacing is 120mm, but 5-speed freewheels have frequently been
used on cheap department store type bikes with wider spacing.

The original 7-speed systems were made for hubs with 126mm spacing,
but 7-speed has also been standard with 130mm and 135mm spacing. To
my knowledge, everything with 7 speeds and branded Shimano 600 rather
than Shimano Ultegra is spaced to 126mm.

Chalo