Old April 21st 16, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default The cost of Century Rides

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 5:21:10 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/20/2016 7:43 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/20/2016 7:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 3:01:54 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
I was at the Sea Otter Classic last Saturday and visited
a booth of a
California cycling magazine which had information on a
bunch of upcoming
century rides.

I looked at the one for my old bicycle club, where in the
1980's we
argued about raising the entry cost to $12 from $10 (or
maybe it was $8
to $10). Our century was never intended to be a
fund-raiser, so we set
the price to just break even.

I saw that the registration for that ride is now $80 ($70
for early
registration) and that a tee shirt is another $20.

Are there enough people paying $70-100 to ride on public
roads to keep
all these century rides in business?

Of course the smartest cyclist guys of all time were the
ones that began
the Cinderalla Classic
http://www.valleyspokesmen.org/cinderellaclassic

I also notice that the clubs no longer require or perform
any bicycle
inspections. Way too much liability if they allow an
unsafe bicycle on
the ride. At least that ride is a slightly more
reasonable $58.

$30-40 up here for a standard century. $70-80 for the
deluxe free beer/wine good food ride -- with a crappy
route. http://www.portlandcentury.com/ I don't typically
ride organized centuries -- and there are not that many up
here. I think the SCV has way more of them -- and more
people with money.

I did a super-expensive century last year in Washington --
which was $135, but I got in free because my sister-in-law
was working support. That fee also included an O.K.
jersey and a shuttle bus ride. You could get the ride
only for $60 (along with admission to the "festival"):
http://giganticbicyclefestival.org/#...r_registration.

Interesting point-to-point ride -- you had to shuttle to
the start or from the end back to the start. I got a
shuttle ride to the start and then did the ride back to
Snoqualmie.

Wow. Seems to me it's another example proving that there's
no upper limit to what some people will pay.

Normal economic theory always said that when prices rise,
fewer sales will occur (a phenomenon known as "elasticity"),
so maximum profit can be visualized as the intersection
between the profit-per-sale curve and the sale-vs-price
curve. Or something vaguely like that. (Hey, it's been
years.) But there are buyers that defy the logic, and pay
very high prices for products that most consumers would
reject. Which is _not_ to deliberately slag custom lugged
steel frames...

One of the _Freakonomics_ books had another example of
that. A very intelligent woman, maybe (I forget) with
degrees in economics, liked sex very much. She turned
professional and did quite well, with "johns" who were
upper-income and generally pleasant.

But it got to be just too tiring, or something, so she
decided to apply elementary economics and raise her prices
sky high. She found to her surprise that she had about as
much business as before; but she was raking in a lot more
money.

So in economic terms, the demand for a good whore is
inelastic. Maybe the same can be said of a "luxury" century
ride.

The term you want there is "Veblen goods".

Over in the economics department overfilled sagging shelves
are rife with theses on pricing theory but you do have the
essence of it above.

Although I doubt the snob effect operates with much force in the bicycle century market. There are exceptions though: http://gourmetcentury.com/ride/?project=portland-or

Chris King is now in the business of high-end foodie metric centuries. You should consider branching out. Consider the "corn dog" ride or something like that.

To really enjoy the Portland area rides you can't be from around here or a serious cyclists because the courses are so well known. I do these courses in response to a one-line text from a friend. They are gourmet rides if you consider Cliff Bars to be gourmet food. IMO, riding with a small group of friends is so much better than the herd scene or a theme ride.

-- Jay Beattie.