Old June 18th 16, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default You too envy Europe?

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:54:03 -0700 (PDT), "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most
Humble Philosopher" wrote:

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 3:35:50 PM UTC-4, Vito wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:10:29 -0700 (PDT), "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble
Philosopher" wrote:

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 10:56:09 AM UTC-4, Vito wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 20:29:02 -0700 (PDT), "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble
Philosopher" wrote:

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 10:50:10 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 13:24:06 -0700 (PDT), "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most
Humble Philosopher" wrote:
The winner gets banana dollars and a bicycle.

Given that the average auto ownership in the U.S. is, according to the
Bureau of Transportation, 1.9 cars per family and that USA Today has
it that "The estimated average transaction price of a new car or truck
sold in the U.S. in April was $33,560". I wonder whether your
assertion that "The revolution should not threaten the middle class"
is perhaps a littler, just a tiny bit, wrong.
--
cheers,

John B.

You made a statement before which said that Europeans ride bikes only because they can't afford a car.

That's obviously a little lie of yours because northern Europe has a large middle class. They do have a better quality of life, if anything.

The Tibetan Gaitor's assertions are based on ignorance. Typical middle class
Americans own homes in the suburbs on 1/4 acre or bigger lots. Euros OTOH
typically live in apartments or row houses, nose to anus with their neighbors.
Our model requires cars and roads because we do not want a Walmart and a factory
on each/every block - something Euros are content with. There is nothing wrong
with either model - each has advantages. But it is very wrong to impose one or
the other as gaitor mouth wants. If he loves the Euro model he should go there.

It's simple: The European model is social. The American model is antisocial.

Only in your mind. My neighbors are both friendly and helpful and call on me
when they need help. Their kids play and go to school together. That's social.
Smelling their cooking is not. But I say again, if you prefer the Euro, or any
other model, be free - go there. Today.

How far is your nearest outdoor cafe? That could be a sign of social life.

Why is the distance to the closest outdoor cafe a measurement of
social life? Do you think that sitting out on the sidewalk in Point
Barrow, where they brag that the temperature is above freezing for at
least 120 days a year, is being "social"?
--
cheers,

John B.