Old July 29th 05, 04:58 AM
Ryan Cousineau

Default Filing a brake caliper that's just too short?

In article ,
maxo wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:22:27 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:

I've also thought about filing the caliper itself down just a hair since
there is a significant amount of material below the lowest point at
which the pads can sit.

I'd go with filing the caliper brake shoe mounting slot with a teeny round
file.

Seems to me that you'd have no problem with safety even if you filed it so
far down as to make a tuning fork. I'd loctite the brake shoe nut if I did
that though. :P

Seems imminently safer than constructing a jerry rigged drop bolt for such
a short distance.

Good and simple idea.

I have had some success in a similar case with using pads like these
Kool-Stop Thinlines:

http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/index...chor-Also-6785

The spherical "V-brake" washers allow you to cheat the pad down a bit
lower than the lowest setting of the brakes.

Sheldon would surely recommend the similar BMX pads:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#bmx

Or possibly the Supra 2s.

I found setting things up like this on a marginal dual-pivot setup a bit
fussy, and I eventually put a longer-reach caliper in there.

Nashbar long-reach, which seem to be private-label Tektros, have served
me well, and are probably the best value in new brakes around.

Sheldon has the most extensive collection of long-reach brake solutions
around:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#calipers