Old February 19th 04, 05:29 PM
Tommy Cheatham

Default Cyclist arrested for taking the lane

Bill Z. wrote:

Hopefully if the gun were actually used, it would be to shoot out the
tires so the cyclist could get away safely without having to shoot the
drunks.

Tires are not terribly easy to hit. If a group of people are attacking
you, it is considered a deadly attack and you have the right to respond
in kind (according to KY law, anyway, it likely varies in other area).

If you take a gun along, you can't afford to let a group of
drunks take it from you, and might have to use it to stop them from
doing that.

The interesting thing about having a gun is that the barrel is usually
aimed toward the people who would take it. If you aren't prepared to
use it, don't carry it or draw it. Just because you have one with you
doesn't mean you need to pull it out in every situation, either.

You should carefully evaluate that possibility before
deciding to bring one along - going through some contingency planning
might very well convince you that carrying a weapon isn't worth it.

I would say that me surviving is "worth it". Contingency planning
should include training. No one should carry who isn't familiar with
the use of a firearm and practiced with using it.