Old September 9th 17, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ivan Shmakov

Default AG: Prejudice not justified?

Joy Beeson writes:

I thought that Ride+Walk Warsaw+WL was founded or inspired by the
League Against Bicycling, but perhaps I was wrong, or perhaps it has
been infiltrated by a cyclist. The following appeared on their
Facebook page:

Although legal to do in Warsaw -- except in the downtown business
district, riding your bike on the side walk is not recommended for
the following reasons: 1) Other road users are not expecting cyclists
on sidewalks, especially motorists crossing intersections and pulling
out of driveways and alleys. 2) Pedestrians are unpredictable and
may not be expecting you. 3) Uneven surfaces and blind corners can
create dangerous situations.

Consider this, if riding on one sidewalk in a typical neighborhood
block there may be 10 driveways which are essentially intersections
to be aware of -- but if you are on the street there is more
visibility and room to see a vehicle backing out onto the street.

If you do decide to ride on the sidewalk follow these
recommendations: 1) Ride very slowly -- at a walking pace. 2) By
law, you must follow all the road rules that apply to the parallel
road, including one-way riding, stop signs etc. etc. 3) Yield to all
pedestrians.

Where I live, the regulations explicitly permit riding on the
sidewalk (although that's probably a recent -- as in, this
decade -- change), yet only allow pedestrian crossings to be
traversed on foot. (Thus if you don't like having to get off
the bike at every intersection, you take the road proper.)
Which I suppose covers the "motorists crossing intersections"
part above.

I'm also unsure about "road rules that apply to the parallel road"
around here, but otherwise the above sounds like a sane advice.

[...]

--
FSF associate member #7257 np. A Tiny Spaceship's Final Mission -- FantomenK