Old May 1st 17, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default torque wrench issues

On Mon, 1 May 2017 19:49:36 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

I have never become aware of the dire consequences of welding zinc plated
that are being spouted here.

"galvanised" can be plated with *ANY* metal that has a higher galvanic
affinity than the host metal. Including cadmium and various other toxic
heavy metals.

Cadmium poisoning is cumulative and has various routes into the body - its a
long slow painful journey to a Darwin award.

For a few years I worked assembling electronic equipment on cadmium plated
chassis - I've seen with my own eyes the extent to which the plating rubs
off on your hands.

But if you're too stupid to take it from someone who's been there - Darwin
awaits you with outstretched arms.

Whenever working with ANY metals, or ANY chemicals, you should wash
your hands well before eating, and never eat in the contaminated
working area. Unless you have breaks in your skin, you are unlikely to
absorb significant amounts of Cadmium

From the CDC:

The principal factor determining how much cadmium is absorbed is the
route of exposure. Once exposed, how much cadmium is absorbed depends
on many factors:

age,
gender,
smoking, and
nutritional status.
As a cumulative toxin, cadmium body burden increases with age. Women
have been shown to have higher blood levels of cadmium than men.
Typically women, with lower iron status, are believed to be at risk
for greater absorption of cadmium after oral exposure (Olsson et al.
2002).

Inhalation

Once in the lungs, from 10% to 50% of an inhaled dose is absorbed,
depending on particle size, solubility of the specific cadmium
compound inhaled, and duration of exposure (Jarup 2002). Absorption is
least for large (greater than 10 micrometers [µm]) and water-insoluble
particles, and greatest for particles that are small (less than 0.1
µm) and water soluble. A high proportion of cadmium in cigarette smoke
is absorbed because the cadmium particles found in that type of smoke
are very small (ATSDR 1999).

Ingestion

Most orally ingested cadmium passes through the gastrointestinal tract
unchanged as normal individuals absorb only about 6% of ingested
cadmium, but up to 9% may be absorbed in those with iron deficiency
(ATSDR 1999). Also, cadmium in water is more easily absorbed than
cadmium in food (5% in water versus 2.5% in food) (IRIS 2006). The
presence of elevated zinc or chromium in the diet decreases cadmium
uptake.

Dermal

Absorption through the skin is not a significant route of cadmium
entry; only about 0.5% of cadmium is absorbed by the skin (ATSDR
1999).