Old September 8th 05, 01:12 AM
Werehatrack

Default Making a College bike Inconspicuous?

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:58:27 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

My son enters college this fall, so I put together a bike for him by
salvaging spare components and a frame that I wasn't using. Suggestions on
making the bike inconspicuous?
Maybe disguising the bike isn't worth the effort for today's thieves?
Suggestions from college students.

Ugly it up. Put some duct tape on the frame, remove any decals that
might indicate that it's a good brand, and apply black spray paint
inexpertly to a few places. Also, convert the skewers to solid axles
if feasible, or install locking skewers if not. Remove the QR for the
seat and replace it with a bolt or a locking assembly. Get a good
lock and a coil cable; use the lock to secure the bike to a fixed
object, and run the coil cable (or, better yet, a good stout chain, if
that's feasible) through both wheels and the rear triangle with the
ends secured by the main lock.

That's just my two cents' worth of highly opinionated advice. Others
may have additional (or contrary) suggestions.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.