Old April 7th 06, 12:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Japan Bike Parking Laws

John Wrote:
It was interesting to see that in Tokyo where there are millions of
cyclist
getting around, and with great respect from cars and pedestrians
unlike
Australia that seems to hate Cyclists guts.
Anyway an interesting thing I saw was that many bikes were getting
parking
tickets for parking in an illegal area, and what I made out was that
you get
some sort of warning for a few hours, and after that a huge truck
comes
along and gets your bike and impounds it, and I saw the impoundment
yard
full of bikes, and a sign saying the penalty is a 6,000 yen or about
get your bike back.
Amazing.
Also its amazing that you can leave your bike outside your apartment
overnight unlocked and still find it there in the morning, again
unlike
Australia.

same in Holland. probabaly using O-Locks which lock up the back
wheel/frame but not to anytihng.
They also had a impounding thing going on, but couldnt quite figure out
what their angle was! Seemed to be in the more open-touristy areas but
they would walk up to 20 bike slocked to a bit of street furniture and
only take 3-4 of them. some kinda discerning comments as they scouted
the lot to apply angle grinder to cablelock to and throw bike in back
of truck.

maybe it was...
"aarrgh. japanese crap bikes! Aluminium!! die! And this one has GEARS
!!! off they go. bwahahahhahahah...

--
flyingdutch