Old September 17th 19, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Article about SRAM in Forbes

jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 1:52:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 1:48:50 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 12:31:41 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
They came up with one crappy product that ruined countless bikes, and
then they used borrowed money to buy up a bunch of more serious
manufacturers and make those products crappier.

I'm not as impressed about that as Forbes is.

Looking at it I cannot see why you would want to pay big bucks for a
group that wouldn't only shift one gear at a time. I did a metric
yesterday and never got out of the small ring and had to shift at least
two gears on every one of the million rollers. With Campy or Shimano that's easy.

Sram red shifts up four at once, the SRAM force shifts up three at once.
Both down only one. I do kind of miss my old Chorus Ergo group that let
me shift down three at once, but not enough to justify the cost.

Another thing I don't like about double-tap is it requires too much
intelligence. If you're on your last cog and think you've got one cog
left and hit the shifter, it drops you down a cog -- kind of the opposite
of what you wanted. With Shimano, you're just reminded that there's
nothing left -- and that you are old and decrepit and need more cogs. As
far as shifting loads of cogs at a time, that's never been a big issue
for me. I have a bump-stock on my shifters -- well, fast fingers.

-- Jay Beattie.

I don’t know. I was happy with my Ultegra setup on the last bike and I’m
happy with the SRAM Force on this one. Not sure I have a preference
between the two. The SRAM tap/double tap is a bit confusing. It’s
basically tap/ hold a bit and hold a bit shifts more than one depending on
length of hold. Sounds complicated but you get used to it.

The shifting off the end gets you back the other way thing that you
describe is a bit strange but you know it immediately and adjust.

Most of us dealt with friction shifters successfully enough. These new
concepts are both better in my opinion.

--
duane