Old April 24th 17, 09:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

Default torque wrench issues

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 11:30:56 +1000, James
wrote:

On 24/04/17 11:06, John B Slocomb wrote:

Tightening fasteners is a far more complex matter then just putting a
wrench on them and turning them.

For heavily loaded fasteners Caterpillar recommends (1) clean the
fastener, (2) lubricate the fastener (3) torque to specification in
three steps, i.e. first torque all of the fasteners to 40% torque,
then to 70% torque and then to final torque.

For the bolts on head stem clamps I usually do something similar. If
you tighten one steerer clamp bolt to 7Nm and then the other to the same
torque, the first one is likely now at much less than 7Nm.

Certainly.

I believe that Shimano recommends tightening the two bolts, that hold
the off-side pedal, on repeatedly. First one and then the other until
they are both tight?