Old March 2nd 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

Default Wrong wrong wrong.... (ON topic)

On Mar 2, 11:07*am, Tom Ace wrote:
On Mar 2, 6:07*am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

Firstly, and most importantly: *braking is as good as with any of my
alloy rims! *Did a coupla panic stops, and some more gradual braking
during bombing a hill, with an anticipated turn at the bottom type
braking. *Yes, the brakes did require a bit more modulation but
certainly I was able to stop and control braking as well as ever.

Can you say what made them need more modulation?
Were they grabby? *Was braking force less linear with
respect to force applied at the lever?

Actually, it was as Mr. Holtman described earlier - won't grab hard
initially, but you don't want to clamp down as they (the brakepads)
will heat up and start to grab big time. This occurs rapidly and a
gentle application of force to the brake pad will actually stop me as
well as moderate force on alloy rims.

So not only is there a lack of 'linearity' but also a time-based
component to the braking. Took me all of one hard brake application
to fully understand it (knew what to expect from the earlier thread on
these and other carbon rims) and to be able to brake well and quickly.

Anyhoo, the wheels climb like a monkey, [...]

And this means... what?

This means the following: my subjective perception is that they
accelerate better than wheels that are heavier at the rim.

If the rims weigh less than aluminum rims, the difference
is on the order of a quarter of one percent of total bike
plus rider weight: *not the stuff that significantly easier
climbing is made of.

The benefits of these rims are in the realm (based on my current
experience, more to come) of being a great combination of aero AND
light weight that I cannot get from an alloy rim. These are not
generally for duffers, and alloy rims are, I agree, the best most cost
effective solution for most people.

I can see you are in the camp that feels that rotating weight is
meaningless . Not to start that whole kerfuffle again.

Tom Ace

D'ohBoy