Old December 4th 13, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default News from down under on helmet laws, passing laws and fighting between so called advocacy groups.

On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:51:08 +1100, James
wrote:

On 04/12/13 10:09, sms wrote:
On 12/3/2013 1:49 PM, James wrote:
http://helmetfreedom.org/1972/a-new-direction/

I wish that these organizations would realize that starting off with
"the big lie" does nothing for their position. In fact it weakens their
position.

I agree.

The big lie: "...in particular it reduces cyclist numbers..." has been
disproven so many times that they should be embarrassed to repeat it.

I disagree. Statistics show marked drop in mode share when MHLs were
introduced. Recent studies show the MHL is still a key issue to
dissuade people from riding.

Page 4 of:

http://eprints.qut.edu.au/53329/1/Focus_group_paper_on_barriers_and_facilitators_to_ PBSS_use_Revision_2_29.06.12_V3.pdf

Adults can decide the level or risk that they are willing to accept.

I agree.

There is no upside in promulgating the lies that helmet legislation
and/or promotion reduces cycling numbers or that helmets are ineffective
at reducing the severity of head injuries in head-impact crashes.

No, the big lies is that everyone *must* wear a helmet because riding a
bicycle is so dangerous.

You have overlooked the mention of bicycle registration and licensing.
I wonder what that will do to participation.

"I'm sorry sir but I can't sell you this bicycle until you show me a
bicycle license." "But it is for my grandson, he's only 5 years old."
"Doesn't make any difference sir, the law says that to sell a bicycle
I must record the license details."
--
Cheers,

John B.