View Single Post
Old October 21st 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Replacing a used front rim

On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 3:39:26 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 7:53:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Snipped Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The last time I did it was three or four years ago. I had two of those old Campy wheels with the almost flat rims. I pulled the two wheels apart and put the new rim on in a half hour. One of those wheels had the record hub and the other a super record hub with the high collar. I just happened to time myself and was rather surprised since that was when I was still recovering from my concussion. I even pulled all of the spokes out of the record rim and replaced them all in correct order. It was just like playing a piano. I even still have the spokes from the other wheel around here getting in the way.

But I'm never surprised at what Jay will write. He is growing worse. I wonder if he is getting Alzheimer's?

O.K., let's see if I can wrap my Alzheimer's mind around this -- you took apart two wheels, rebuilt one of them with a new rim, tensioned, trued and stress-relieved that wheel (after having taken apart two wheels) in a half an hour. Hmmm.

-- Jay Beattie.

I think what he means is that he used loose old spokes from one wheel and put the new rim on one of the wheels and then tensioned and possibly stress relieved it all within one half hour. That's NOT counting the time it took him to take apart the wheels. I knew a guy that could build up a wheel from new parts in half an hour but he was a professional with decades of wheel building experience. I think Tom's clock was running quite slow the day he claims to have time himself to one half of an hour. Sorry Tom.

Cheers
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home