Old January 4th 06, 01:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Helmets - mean time betweef failures

Peter Keller wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:36:50 -0800, Rayc wrote:

Met offer a crash replacement policy, not free but cheaper than buying
a new helmet. Some distributors offer an inspection service, but none
offer a repair service.

I am not sure if an "inspection" service is useful at all. The propaganda
is that after any knock, however minor, the helmet should be replaced as
damage to it may be invisible but still real, thus lessening greatly
whatever protective properties it had.

Peter

I found a miniature compression spot on a helmet after I'd stacked it...
which happened to correspond to a small bruise on my head, so I decided
to check it out. When we peeled back the plastic, we found a massive
crack that was not at all visible from outside. The bike shop was very
responsible and insisted I smash the crap out of the helmet so that no
one would take it out of the bin and try to use it. The thought of that
scared me - I am always amazed when people sell second hand bikes with a
helmet included.

Tam